We've had many requests for a gluten free batter and one that would taste as good as the rest of our products in the Fogdog range.
It was a challenge, as gluten free generally doesn't taste great!
So we came at it from a different direction - the best tempura has low gluten, so let's make a damn good tempura batter that is gluten free.
It took us a while but here it is, a tasty, gluten free tempura that doesn't taste like it's gluten free!
The whole family will enjoy this. A light batter that can be used for fish, seafood or vegetables.
1 Cup Tempura Batter Mix
3/4 Cup Cold Water
125g Tempura Batter Mix
180ml Cold Water
- Use a wok, ideally with a draining tray. Fill with enough rice bran oil (approx 1L) to float the ingredients. Heat the oil to a high temperature.
- Place ice cubes into a small jug of water. Let stand for a while. Mix a measure of tempura batter with iced water until the consistency of runny cream. It should fall completely off your whisk.
- Place your vegetables, fish or seafood into the batter.
- Test the oil with a little batter to ensure very hot.
- Carefully lower ingredients into oil. Don't over crowd.
- These will cook very quickly (approx 1 min). When batter turns pale-golden it's ready. Fish and seafood is virtually in and out!
- Let oil drain from the cooked tempura before serving.
- Regularly remove 'floaties' from the hot oil in between batches.
- Use the freshest ingredients you can find.
- Dry the surface of the ingredients you’re battering completely.
- Use ice cold water for your batter, and don't mix it much.
- If your batter isn't fluffy and crispy when cooked then add more water to your mixture.
- Don't cook too much at one time.