95g Fogdog Original Beer Batter
2 tsp dried yeast
2 tsp castor sugar
90ml lukewarm milk
1cm dark chocolate pieces (you can use chocolate buttons or a block)
1 punnet fresh raspberries (or any fresh berries)
150ml double cream
120g caster sugar for dusting
1.5ltr oil for frying (e.g rice bran oil)
- Place 95g of Fogdog Original Beer Batter into a bowl, along with dried yeast and caster sugar. Mix well.
- Warm 90mls of milk in the microwave for about 20 seconds (milk must only be lukewarm, if it's too hot it will kill the yeast and your doughnut won't rise).
- Add lukewarm milk to dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Place batter in a warm place for 10 to 15 minutes until the mixture bubbles.
- Heat your oil to approx. 160°C. The best way to check your temperature is to add a small amount of batter to the oil -- it should crackle and turn golden brown within 30 seconds.
- In the meantime, place the chocolate into the batter with a large spoon and cover evenly. Lift the chocolate pieces out on the spoon with a good covering of batter, and with a second spoon carefully slide the mixture into the hot oil. Turn gently for approx. 6 mins (if the doughnut is browning too quickly turn down the heat as the batter will not cook right through).
- Remove doughnuts with a slotted spoon to drain off excess oil and then roll in caster sugar.
- Serve warm with raspberries and whipped cream.
Recipe provided by Paul Breheny The Hook and the Cook
"This is a favorite for my chefs at the restaurant, can’t make them quick enough!!"