Fogdog Gluten Free Tempura Batter / Gluten Free Breadcrumbs
Fish of your choice
salad of your choice
Soda water Or water (tip for tempura - water has to be icy cold so put ice cubes in the water)
Rice bran oil (my preference)
Eggs (optional - if your fish is very moist, you may not need eggs)
- Pat dry your fish with a paper towel
- Prepare your salad
- Prepare your Gluten Free Tempura - mix measure of Tempura Batter with iced water / soda water until it's the consistency of runny cream. It should fall completely off your whisk.
- Heat oil at high temperature - put enough oil into your pan / wok to float your ingredients
- Test the oil with a little batter to ensure it's very hot
- Dip your fish into tempura batter and fry. This will cook very quickly, within approximately 1-2 minutes. When batter turns pale gold it's ready.
- Let oil drain before serving.
- If you are using Fogdog Gluten Free Breadcrumbs - crumb both sides of the fish evenly and fry
- Don't cook too much at one time.
- Dry your ingredients completely before battering.
- Use very cold water when making the batter and mix the batter immediately before frying.
- If your batter isn't fluffy and crispy when cooked, add more water to the mixture.
This recipe idea has been inspired by Jeff Forse from Auckland NZ.