FREE SHIPPING for all orders of 4 or more items!
Here at Fogdog, we set out on a serious mission to create a batter that was gluten free. However, not only did we want a gluten free batter, but we wanted one that tasted just as good as all the other products in our range. It was a challenge, and many samples went through a rigorous taste-testing regimen (both in the kitchen and out on the water). Finally, the recipe for our light and crispy Tasty Tempura Batter was perfected and what resulted was a gluten free batter that sure as heck doesn’t taste gluten free!
Fogdog’s Tasty Tempura Batter can be used for vegetables, fish, seafood, or whatever takes your fancy. Once you try it, you’ll be hooked!
- Ideally, use a wok with a draining tray when frying tempura. Fill your wok or pan with enough oil (approx. 1L) to float the ingredients. Heat the oil to a high temperature.
- Place ice cubes into a small jug of water and let stand for a while. Mix 1 cup Tasty Tempura Batter with ¾ cup of iced water, or until you have the consistency of runny cream. It should fall completely off your whisk.
- Place your vegetables, fish, or seafood into the batter.
- Ensure the oil is very hot by dropping in small amounts of batter, which should start frying instantly.
- Carefully lower your ingredients into the oil, being sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- These will cook very quickly (approx. 1 min). When the batter turns pale golden it is ready.
- Let the oil drain from the cooked tempura before serving.
Cooking good tempura takes practice!
- Use the freshest ingredients you can find.
- Completely dry the surface of the ingredients you’re battering.
- Be sure to always use ice-cold water and don’t overmix your batter.
- If your batter isn’t light and crispy when cooked, add more water to your mixture.
- Regularly remove ‘floaties’ from the hot oil in between batches.