Sweet & Sour Fish Bites
Serves 2 as a main or one large sharing plate
1/2 packet Easy Beer Batter (Original or Lemon Pepper) or use Tasty Tempura Batter for gluten free alternative
500g firm, fresh Hoki fillet sliced into bite-size portions
3 tablespoons cornflour
1 cup all-purpose flour (use GF as required)
1 cup pineapple juice
4 tablespoons orange juice
3 tablespoons raw sugar
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon hot chilli pepper sauce, such as Tabasco (optional)
1 red bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size strips
1 teaspoon peeled, grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon lemon zest
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 cups vegetable oil (for deep frying)
Sliced spring onion
- Place 2 tablespoons of cornflour into a bowl and lightly cover the fish bites, ensuring they get an even coating.
- Mix your choice of Fogdog batter to packet instructions. Add the fish to the batter bowl and stir to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Whisk remaining 1 tablespoon cornflour, pineapple and orange juice, sugar, vinegar, hot pepper sauce, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl.
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger and lemon zest and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add bell pepper and stir-fry just to heat through for another 30 seconds. Add pineapple juice mixture and cook until sauce is thick and clear, stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Set aside to briefly heat through again when ready to serve.
- Heat 4 cups oil in a wok or deep saucepan to 180°C. Add batter-coated fish bites to oil in batches and fry until crisp and golden, about 4 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer fish to a paper towel-lined dish to drain excess oil.
- Arrange fish on a platter or in a bowl over rice. Drizzle with sauce and garnish with sliced spring onion and toasted sesame seeds.