Tempura Veggie Platter
GF Tasty Tempura Batter
Variety of veggies such as eggplant, kumara, carrots, broccoli, capsicum
130ml chilled water (or beer if not gluten-free)
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil for frying
- Cut your veggies into either thick slices or thick strips, as pictured above.
- Place your eggplant into a strainer set over a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 1 hour.
- If using kumara or sweet potato, soak slices in water for 15-30 minutes and then pat dry with paper towel.
- Rinse eggplant under cold water and then pat dry with a paper towel.
- Add 130ml of chilled water (or beer) to approximately half a packet (95g) of Tasty Tempura Batter. Mix until thick and smooth.
- Heat enough oil in a deep frying pan to float the veggies. Dip your veggies into the batter one at a time, and fry for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Once cooked, remove with steel tongs or a spider strainer and place onto a cooling rack set over paper towels.
An extra bonus: add some dipping sauces. Simply use soy sauce, or combine 1 cup greek yoghurt, 1 clove garlic crushed and 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill.
Image by Kirsten Bridge